Canada Work Visa

Temporary Work Permits in Canada

Do you plan to work in Canada? Do you have a Job Offer in Canada? Or are you an inter-company transfer applicant being transferred to your company’s Canadian office? Do you want to establish a new business in Canada?

A Canada Work Visa may be for you!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Canada Work Visas

Question : What is a Canada Work Visa?
Answer : A Canada’s Work Visa or work permit Canada is a document issued by the Canadian government that allows a foreigner such as for example US Citizen to legally work in Canada for a temporary period of time.

Question : Do all foreigners require a Canada Work Visa?
Answer : No. There are certain persons who are EXEMPT or do not require Canada Work Visas (subject to certain conditions):

  • Foreign Diplomats
  • Military Personnel
  • Clergy
  • Performing Artists (under certain circumstances)
  • Athletes
  • Artists
  • Ship or Truck Personnel
  • Designated Foreign Buyers and Sellers

Note: There are other exemptions that are found in the Canadian Immigration Regulations.

Question : If I work in Canada for a period of time, can I get Permanent Resident status?
Answer : Possibly. If you work in Canada for two years under a valid Work Permit you may eligible for Permanent Resident status under the Canadian Experience Class or a Provincial Nominee Program depending on your job classification and your language proficiency.

Question : What if I need a Canada Work Visa? How Do I get a Work Permit for Canada issued to me?
Answer : Generally, there is a two step procedure involved in obtaining a Canada Work Visa.

Step 1: Get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) letter from the Employment and Social Development Canada department (ESDC)

Before applying for a Canada Work Visa, in most cases, you need to obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC.
The procedure involved in obtaining an LMIA from Service Canada is that the prospective Canadian employer applies for approval of the job offer to the foreign worker. ESDC will issue the LMIA approval or confirmation IF they are satisfied that there are no Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents who are qualified for and willing to fill the position offered by a foreign worker OR that the foreign worker will train Canadians during his or her employment in Canada. Typically, the prospective employer must demonstrate to ESDC that it has made efforts to recruit a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident for the position but had not been successful in finding a suitable Canadian candidate. The Canadian employer will often be required to advertise for the position offered to the foreign worker.
If ESDC is satisfied that the prospective employer has made best efforts to hire a local worker, they will “Confirm” the offer of employment to the foreign worker and issue and LMIA letter.

Step 2. Application for Canadian Work Visa

Once the LMIA has been issued by ESDC, the foreign worker will be invited to apply for a Canada Work Visa or Canadian Work Permit at a Canadian Consulate, Embassy or High Commission outside of Canada. In some cases, the foreign worker will be required to attend at an interview with a visa officer. If the visa officer is satisfied that the foreign worker’s employment will not adversely effect employment in Canada for Canadians, and that the foreign worker qualifies for the position, then a Canada Work Permit will be issued.
Note : In some cases, applicants from certain countries will be required to undergo medical examinations.
Exemptions from Service Canada LMIA Applications: Fast Track Processing for Canada Work Visas. Not Everyone requires an LMIA to get a Canada Work Visa. There are certain occupations which do not require an LMIA from ESDC such as:

  • Foreign Students holding a Canadian Study Permit
  • Citizens of the United States whose occupations fall under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). This category is for US Citizens and Mexican Citizens
  • Spouses of Workers, Students, Canadian citizens and permanent residents who qualify under the Spousal Pilot Project

Contact us to see how we can help you obtain a work visa

Ask An Expert