On November 10th, 2016, Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada has announced amendments to the Express Entry System, effective as of November 19th, 2016.
Points for having an LMIA have been reduced significantly.
Additional points have been awarded for Canadian education, if an individual has studied physically in Canada for at least 8 months at a Canadian institution.
Points for Qualifying offer of Arranged Employment
If a foreign national has a qualifying offer of arranged employment, they may be assigned points as follows:
(A) 200 points, if the offer is for employment in an occupation contained in Major Group 00 of the National Occupation Classification:
- 0011 Legislators
- 0012 Senior government managers and officials
- 0013 Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services
- 0014 Senior managers – health, education, social and community services and membership organizations
- 0015 Senior managers – trade, broadcasting and other services, n.e.c.
- 0016 Senior managers – construction, transportation, production and utilities
(B) 50 points, if the offer is any other qualifying offer of arranged employment.
Before the job offers validated by a LMIA were worth 600 points.
As of November 19, 2016, there will be no need to obtain a LMIA, however, as stated above a qualifying job offer of arranged employment will be worth 50 or 200 points
Canadian Educational Credentials
The points that are to be assigned for a Canadian educational credential are the following:
- 0 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school educational credential
- 15 points, if the foreign national has an eligible credential from a one-year or two-year post-secondary program; and
- 30 points, if the foreign national has:
- an eligible credential from a post-secondary program of three years or more,
- an eligible credential from a university-level program at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill Level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required,
- an eligible credential from a university-level program at the doctoral level.
Points are only assigned for Canadian study experience, for the purpose of obtaining the credential, if the foreign national:
- studied in Canada at a Canadian educational institution;
- was enrolled in full-time study or training for at least eight months; and
- was physically present in Canada for at least eight months.
Note: Provincial Nominees under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) will continue receiving 600 points in the Comprehension Ranking System (CRS).
These changes will come into effect on November 19, 2016
Begin your Canadian Visa Application Process Today
As Canadian immigration specialists, ICS is committed to ensuring that you obtain the best Canadian visa or immigration service for your requirements. You can set your application in motion today by submitting our Initial Consultation Form to schedule your consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.
After we assess your qualifications, you will be informed if you qualify. If you would qualify to apply for Canada Immigration under the Express Entry System, we open your file and proceed with the processing of your application for the permanent resident visa.
Please note that ICS will not share your personal information with any other third party, any information submitted to us will only be used to assess your visa eligibility.