Job Opportunity for Low Skilled Workers in Canada

Canadian provinces offer Permanent Residency to semi-skilled workers

Some Canadian provinces offer Canadian Permanent Residency nominations for workers in semi-skilled professions such as: manufacturing, transportation, food and beverage, and hospitality occupations.

These provincial nomination programs (PNPs) are created to support economic growth by attracting work-ready immigrants to the provinces. In general, the goal of any PNP is speed-up the process of bringing newcomers to Canada.

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) defines semi-skilled worker category ( NOC categories C and D) as a category that includes jobs that require lower levels of formal training (e.g. food and beverage servers, chambermaids – usually require a high school diploma and some on-the-job training or job-specific courses)

Below is the list of Semi-Skilled Occupations under which Canada offers Permanent Residency to Provincial Nominees


A massive labour shortage is looming in Alberta and if predictions are accurate, by 2015, there will be thousands of empty positions waiting to be filled.

“It’s not an issue that’s going to be forced in the next year, the next two years, the next three years. The projections that we see is that by the year 2015, the Province of Alberta will have 100,000 vacant positions that cannot be filled,” said Ken Kobly, the president of the Alberta Chambers of Commerce.

You may qualify for Canadian permanent residence under the Alberta PNP if you are working in Alberta on an temporary work permit, have completed a minimum of high school education, and have a
permanent, full-time job offer from an Alberta employer in an eligible semi-skilled occupation. :
Alberta Semi- Skilled Occupations PDF FILE

British Columbia

Applicants must have been employed full-time in an eligible occupation by the qualified company, on a temporary work permit for at least nine consecutive months prior to the date of application to the PNP and must be legally employed by the employer at the time of application.

The tourism/hospitality, food processing and long-haul trucking industries play a key role in BC’s export-oriented economy, and are experiencing looming labour shortages. These industries have demonstrated that they won’t be able to meet their on-going workforce needs without the ability to retain foreign workers through immigration.

Below is the list of occupations that will be considered under this category:



The Saskatchewan PNP nominates nominees in the Hospitality and Long-Haul Trucking Industries

Hotel and Lodging (Hospitality)

To apply to the Hospitality Sector Project, the applicant must have completed a minimum of Grade 12 education (or its equivalent), work in Saskatchewan for a minimum of six months, have sufficient English language ability and have a valid work permit for one of the following categories:

Long Haul Truck Drivers

To be considered for the Long Haul Truck Drivers Project you must: be working on a temporary work permit for an approved Saskatchewan trucking firm for a minimum of six months, have a current Saskatchewan Class 1A driver’s license and have an offer of full-time, permanent employment from your employer, which must be an approved trucking firm in Saskatchewan.


To qualify under the Critical Impact Worker Program the applicant must: have permanent full time position, be in trade or skill that falls into skill level C or D of the National Occupational Classification, have a temporary work permit and have worked in the position for six months or obtain a score of 45 or better on the Pre-Assessment, be able to conduct basic communications in either English or French.

Begin your Canadian Visa Application Process Today

As Canadian immigration specialists, ICS is committed to ensuring that you obtain the best Canadian visa or immigration service for your requirements. You can set your application in motion today by submitting our Initial Consultation Form to schedule your consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.

After we assess your qualifications, you will be informed if you qualify. If you would qualify to apply for a job offer and work permit as a Low Skilled Worker, we open your file and proceed with the processing of your application for the foreign worker visa.

Please note that ICS will not share your personal information with any other third party, any information submitted to us will only be used to assess your visa eligibility.

Contact us to see how we can help you obtain a Job Opportunity for Low Skilled Workers

Ask An Expert