Students Visas Study Permits

Our immigration attorneys provide assistance in obtaining Student Visas in Canada and overseas

Study permits are usually required if you want to study in Canada for more than six (6) months. Studying in Canada can often lead to obtaining permanent residence quickly and easily, because Canada is interested in retaining international students who have studied in Canada. We can advise you in identifying the right school and the right program. Here is a brief summary of some significant new changes to the immigration rules which enable students to stay in Canada and get landed residency status:

Off-Campus Part-time Work Permits:
Qualifying students can now obtain a work permit to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week.

Extended Post-Grad Work Permits:
Students can now get up to a three-year (3) post- grad Work Permit which allows them to gain the experience necessary to qualify and obtain permanent residence in Canada.

New Work Permits after Post-Grad Work Permit Period:
It’s now much easier to get approved for an extended Work Permit after completing a post-grad Work Permit. Employers are not required to prove they couldn’t find eligible Canadians while salary requirements have been reduced, making it easier for employers to retain international students.

Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class:
A foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada may qualify under this class.

Permanent Residence under the Ministerial Instruction Class, Category 3:
Foreign students with at least 12 months studying or working in Canada can qualify for permanent residence if they obtain at least 67 points.

Where to apply for a Student Visa
Applications are usually made at a visa post (outside Canada) that’s responsible for your home country or where you are presently residing. An interview may be required.

Exceptions from having to obtain a Student Visa:
If the program of study is less than six (6) months;
If the student is a minor (child) already in Canada whose parents are not “visitors” in Canada, or;
The student is a child or staff member of a diplomat or foreign representative accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

Step one: school acceptance
Prior to applying for a Study Permit, students must have proof of acceptance from the institution they wish to attend.

Proof of Finances
Show proof of adequate financial arrangements for support while in Canada.

Working while studying
Students may be able to work while in Canada on a Study Permit.

Partners can work
A spouse or common-law partner of a visiting student holding a valid Study Permit may be able to receive a Work Permit.

Work-study co-op programs
Holders of a valid Study Permit may be able to participate in a co-op program if it’s an integral component of their program of study. Note that the co-op terms do not constitute more than 50% of the intended program of study.

Contact us to see how we can help you obtain a Students Visas Study Permits

Ask An Expert