new_immigrationComing to Alberta as a Provincial Nominee

The Alberta Provincial Nominee (AINP) is created to support Alberta’s economic growth by attracting work-ready immigrants to the province

AINP program consists of eight categories/streams:

  • Skilled Worker Category (Employer Driven Stream)
  • International Graduate Category (Employer Driven Stream)
  • Semi-Skilled Worker Category (Employer Driven Stream)
  • Compulsory Trades Category (Strategic Recruitment Stream)
  • Engineering Occupations Category (Strategic Recruitment Stream)
  • Self-Employed Farmer Stream

Skilled Worker – Employer Driven Stream

The applicant must have arranged employment with a pre-approved employer in Alberta (accompanied by LMIA) and perform an occupation classified as NOC (National Occupational Classification) Skill level O, A or B. National Occupational Classification (NOC)

Occupations In Demand in Alberta

The candidate must

    • Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
    • Have related education, training, previous work experience, and any Alberta licensing needed for the position and to meet AINP criteria.
    • Provide a copy of your valid work permit if you are already working in Alberta or prove of legal status in your country of residence
    • Have a job offer for permanent, full-time employment in a skilled occupation. A skilled occupation is an occupation that falls under one of the following skill levels under the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
      • NOC 0: management occupations that usually require a university degree (bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate) or a professional designation.
      • NOC A: occupations that usually require university education.
      • NOC B: occupations that usually require college education or trade certification.

Meet additional criteria if your occupation is one of the following:

      • Chefs (formal post secondary studies and 5 – 7 years of work experience is required)
      • Cooks (Level 1) (2 years of formal post secondary studies or minimum of 54 months of full-time work experience as a Cook and a valid work permit is required)
      • Line cooks (Level 2) (2 years of formal post secondary studies or 54 month of full time work experience as a Cook and a valid work permit is required)
      • Early childhood educators and child care staff (minimum high school education and a certificate obtained through “Alberta Children and Youth Services – Child Care Staff Certification Office” is required).
      • Managers/Supervisors in the Retail, Fast Food and Service Industries (completion of post secondary degree , diploma, or certificate in Commerce, Business Management, etc. and 2 years managerial/supervisory experience is required)
      • Trades (compulsory and optional trades)

In Alberta, there are two classifications of designated trades:

      • Compulsory Trades and
      • Optional Trades

Compulsory Trades

To work in a compulsory trade, a foreign worker must have a letter from Apprenticeship and Industry Training indicating their application is approved, be certified under the Qualification Certificate Program, or have a certificate issued by a regulatory authority in Canada that is recognized by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board.

COMPULSORY CERTIFICATION TRADES include the following occupations:  PDF FILE COMPULSORY TRADESIf you are a tradesperson from outside of Canada and wish to work in a compulsory trade in Alberta, you will need to meet Alberta industry trade standards for that specific trade. Temporary foreign workers may apply for certification under the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program.Through this program:

        • Your work experience and/or formal training in the trade will be verified;
        • If approved, you will be required to write and pass a theory exam for the trade (pass mark is 70 per cent);
        • For some trades you will also be required to pass a practical exam (pass mark is 70 per cent); and
        • Your Alberta employer is required to provide a letter of declaration verifying you are performing work in the trade at the level of a certified journeyperson.
        • If the above requirements are met, you will be issued a Qualification Certificate which will allow you to work as a certified journeyperson in the specified designated trade in Alberta.

Optional Trades

In optional trades, a person is not required to hold a trade certificate to work in the trade if an employer is satisfied that the uncertified person has the knowledge and skills expected of a journeyperson.
Foreign trades people who would like to be employed in an optional trade in Alberta are not required to be certified under the Qualification Certificate Program; however, certification would provide the person with an official document that will be recognized throughout Alberta and may be recognized throughout all of Canada. Refer to the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training website for information on Alberta’s compulsory and optional trades.

Optional Certificate Trades include the following occupations:

The candidate in an Optional Trade must also:

  • Have Alberta Qualification Certificate or show that you have 18 – 72 months of hands-on work experience, depending on your trade
    Present reference letters from your previous employment (if you don’t have Alberta Qualification Certificate)
  • Only the hands-on work experience in the same trade as what you are applying for under the AINP will be considered

If your occupation is not listed in the above trade tables but is recognized as a trade in Canada, you must prove that you have minimum 48 months of work experience.

For example: If you are a Plasterer, Upholsterer or Drywall Installer, you must show 48 months of work experience in these trades.

International Graduate – Employer Driven Stream

Education In Alberta

The International Graduate stream helps employers hire and retain recent international graduates who intend permanently settle in Alberta.

    The applicant must:

  • Show your intention to live permanently in Alberta.
  • You have obtained a diploma, degree, or have completed a graduate level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university in Alberta or Canada, or at a private institution in Alberta authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
  • You must have completed a minimum of two years at the undergraduate level or a minimum of one year at the graduate level in Alberta.
  • You have a current and valid post-graduation work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Your job is related to your field of study in Alberta or Canada.
  • You must have full-time arranged employment for a minimum of 6 months with a pre-approved employer in Alberta (accompanied by LMO) and perform an occupation classified as NOC (National Occupational Classification) Skill level O, A or B

Semi-Skilled Worker – Employer Driven Stream

If your skills fall in the C and D list of the NOC and you have a permanent, full-time job offer from an Alberta employer you might be eligible for a permanent resident visa as a Semi-Skilled worker, nominated by the province of Alberta.

    Selected occupations from the following industries are eligible:

  • Food and beverage processing industry
  • Hotel and lodging industry:
  • Food and beverage servers and room attendants
  • Front desk agent/clerk
  • Manufacturing industry
  • Long-Haul Trucking industry
  • Foodservices industry (pilot project)
The Candidate Must Also:
  • Be currently employed in Alberta on a temporally work permit  for an eligible AINP Semi-Skilled Occupation (see list above)
  • Show that you have completed a minimum of high school education which is equivalent to Alberta standards.


Engineering Occupations Category (Strategic Recruitment Stream)

If you have credentials as an engineer, designer or drafter and Alberta work experience in an eligible Engineering Occupation you might be able to apply for the AINP under this category.

You must also meet the following requirements:
  • You must be currently residing in Alberta.
  • You must intend to and be able to live permanently in Alberta.
  • You must provide evidence of related education/training and experience as an engineer, designer or drafter.
  • You must be currently working or have worked within the last two years in Alberta either directly or on contract for one of the following:
  • A recognized, reputable and well-established Alberta Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) Company; and/or
  • An Alberta company that is a member of the Consulting Engineers of Alberta.
  • Under some engineering occupations you may be asked a “Letter of Non Objection” from Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta or show that you are registered with APEGGA as a foreign licensee

Self-Employed Farmer Stream

If you have an experience in farming and the financial resources to develop a sustainable growth-oriented primary production farming business in Alberta, you might be eligible to apply for the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) under self-employed farmer stream.

Alberta can nominate individual farm owner/operators who want to immigrate, invest a minimum of CAD $500000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta..

Priority will be given to applicants purchasing farming enterprises representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta’s agri-food growth targets

Family Stream

If you have a close relative in Alberta and you can provide proof that you are the parent, child, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew of that person (by birth or adoption), you might be able to apply for the Alberta Immigration Nominee Program under this category.

Begin your Canadian Visa Application Process Today

As Canadian immigration specialists, ICS is committed to ensuring that you obtain the best Canadian visa or immigration service for your requirements. You can set your application in motion today by submitting our Initial Consultation Form  to schedule your consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.

After we assess your qualifications, you will be informed if you qualify. If you would qualify to apply for Canada Immigration as the Alberta Provincial Nominee Class, we open your file and proceed with the processing of your application for the permanent resident visa and/or work permit.

Please note that ICS will not share your personal information with any other third party, any information submitted to us will only be used to assess your visa eligibility.

Contact Us