Work after studying is a great way to immigrate! After completing their studies in Canada, international students can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). Canada grants such a work permit (PGWP) for duration of up to three years for your program. Recently, the Ministry of Immigration has been providing PGWP for three years, even to those whose studying period was only two years.

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) has played a key role in retaining international students after graduation, thus they remain and contribute to the Canadian economy. The recent PGWPP changes introduced by the government this year are expected to significantly reduce the nerves spent and application errors caused by short deadlines and lack of information. Now the deadline for filing applications has been extended to 6 months, instead of 90 days as it was last year.

One of the important nuances to keep in mind is that PGWPP does not automatically get an Open Work Permit for spouses. To approve an application for a spouse, a foreign graduate needs to get a job that will be considered qualified and correspond to a profession from lists 0, A or B. However, this work does not have to be in the specialty taught by a foreign student in Canada.

Another issue to keep in mind is that the list of 1,513 universities and colleges that are on the list of recognized educational institutions (Designated Learning Institutions, DLI) has 616 institutions that are not eligible to participate in the program. Consequently, after studying at such institutions, foreign graduates should not count on a work permit in Canada. Foreign students must make sure that their educational institutions participate in PGWPP.

First of all, you should check your educational institution if you are going to study in a private college. Among state universities and colleges, there are almost none that do not participate in the program. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program is a great way to enter the Canadian labor market, gain valuable experience, and be able to immigrate to Canada.