Recent Immigrants

Dmitri Boudovitch

Motaz Bunai

Clint Castro Santos Melchor

Marlo Turaray Beran

Vhic Fernandez

Permanent Residence for International Students in Canada

We support applications for Permanent Residence for International Students in Canada

There are numerous options for international students who wish to obtain permanent residence in Canada. Recently, Canada changed its rules to enable international students to easily obtain Work Permits and permanent residence. We encourage any international student who wants to remain in Canada to contact us and we will provide you an initial consultation regarding the options and opportunity to stay in Canada.

Below are some of the best options for international students who wish to remain in Canada permanently. We offer one-on-one personal consultations and help international students find the right school and programs. We provide valuable long-term strategic planning to ensure international students are professionally advised and represented throughout the process. We offer a wide range of services including arranging work permits and job placements. We make sure our clients get good jobs and embark on valuable and rewarding careers in Canada. We understand the complexities and have extensive experience and expertise to ensure our clients are successful.

In order to quickly obtain Canadian Permanent Residence, applicants usually need some skilled-level work experience, while we help you to find the appropriate school programs.

Ask An Expert
Post-Graduate Work Permits

Students can now get up to a three-year post-grad Work Permit which enables them to get the experience necessary to qualify and obtain permanent residence in Canada. The post-grad work cannot be longer than the period of study. Students must have studied full time for the eight (8) months preceding the completion of their program of studies. The post-grad Work Permit may last up to three (3) years, but no longer than the period of study. The student must graduate from a qualifying school:

A public post-secondary institution, such as a college, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public one and receives at least 50% of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or;

A Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees. You must apply for a Work Permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.

New Work Permits after Post-Graduate Work Permits Expire

It’s now much easier for international students to get a new Work Permit after their Post-Grad Work Permit expires, allowing them to stay working in Canada for extended periods – usually leading to permanent residence.

Foreign graduates from a Canadian post-secondary institution (who have studied forat least two years) with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada may qualify under this class. The entire processing time can be as little as six months.
Foreign students with at least 12 months studying or working experience in Canada can qualify for permanent residence if they obtain at least 67 points.
Many provinces now have special immigration programs that enable international students to obtain permanent residence quickly and easily. (See the chart below for more details.)
Students may be eligible to immigrate as dependents on their parent’s applications. Parents may qualify as Investors or other programs. (A “dependent” is under 22 or over 22 and attending school full-time.) Parents can easily contact us for a free evaluation and consultation regarding their eligibility to immigrate to Canada with their families.
Students can participate in a co-op work placement program if it is “an integral component of their program of study.” Co-op work terms cannot constitute more than 50% of the intended program of study.

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Certain provinces offer Permanent Residence through Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). The criteria can vary, but essentially all PNPs require students to have graduated from a recognized, post-secondary educational institution in Canada; worked under a Work Permit for a certain period of time for an employer in their respective province; and be offered a full-time permanent job from an employer that may or may not be related to the applicant’s field of study. In all cases, the applicant must intend to live, work and establish his/her career in the respective province.

Provinces with Programs Enabling International Students to Get Permanent Residence

PROVINCE MINIMUM STUDY TIME TO BE ELIGIBLE Minimum WORKING Time to be Eligible Permanent, Full-Time Job Offer from Employer Notes
BRITISH COLUMBIA 1 academic year None required Diploma must be in areas such as science, engineering, computers; must attain 70% grades and provide a reference; eligible jobs in NOC levels 0, A, and B
ALBERTA 2 years undergraduate or 1 year graduate level 6 months required Job offer must be related to applicant’s field of study
SASKATCHEWAN 1 academic year 6 months required Job offer must be related to applicant’s field of study
MANITOBA 1 academic year 6 months required Job offer must be related to applicant’s field of study
ONTARIO 2-year diploma or degree; or 1-year post-grad degree/certificate must complete min. half of studies in Canada do not need to have any previous work experience Job in management, profession or skilled trades (NOC 0, A or B); does not have to be related to field of study Program is employer-driven; employer must be pre-screened and occupation approved
QUEBEC Diploma equal to QC secondary school; CAQ (Québec Acceptance Certificate) None None Apply 12 mth before graduating; adequate French
NEWFOUNDLAND Two-year diploma or degree; or one-year post-graduate degree; must complete at least half of studies in Canada 6 months required Job offer must be related to applicant’s field of study