Spousal Sponsorship Canada

Are you someone who is looking to reunite with your loved one in Canada? You have landed on the right page. A Canadian citizen or someone who holds a permanent resident (PR) status in Canada has the right to sponsor his/her:

  • conjugal partner/ common-law partner
  • dependent child
  • spousal sponsorship Canada / within Canada or overseas
  • parents
  • grandparents
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents, you may sponsor another relative of any age or relationship. And (only in some provinces) other relatives who fulfill the eligibility criteria to gain a permanent resident (PR) status in the Canada.

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored. However, if they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for adaptability for having a relative in Canada

Who Can Be a Sponsor?

You can be a sponsor if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and if you are 18 years of age or older.

You may not be eligible to sponsor a relative if you:

  • Failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past;
  • Defaulted on court-ordered support payments, such as alimony or child support;
  • Received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability;
  • Were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative, or any sexual offence-depending on circumstances, such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued;
  • Defaulted on an immigration loan – you had late or missed payments, are in prison, or have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Spousal Sponsorship Canada / Can I Be a Sponsor if I Live Outside Canada?

If you are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad and plans to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or your dependent children who have no dependent children. To sponsor any other eligible relatives (for example, parents and grandparents), you must be living in Canada.


When you sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must promise to support them (and their dependents) financially. Therefore, you have to meet certain income requirements. If you have previously sponsored relatives to come to Canada and they later turned to the government for financial assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person. Sponsorship is a big commitment, so you must take this obligation seriously.

You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself. NOTE: Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign this agreement. Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec – a contract binding the sponsorship.

You must promise to provide financial support for the sponsored relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship to you. This time period begins on the date they become a permanent resident.

Not all relatives qualify to get sponsorship under this program. It is vital for both the parties (person sponsoring as well as those intending to immigrate to Canada as PR) to fulfill the requirements linked with the immigration process. These include medical and criminal screening and giving the proof of a genuine background, to name a few.

Contact us to see how we can help you about Sponsorship Applications

Ask An Expert