Work Live and Study in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

Any individual can visit Saskatchewan or move permanently to Saskatchewan in many ways. You can come temporarily to visit, study or work.  If you want to work permanently or start a business in Saskatchewan, there are several categories such as:

Skilled Workers, Family Members, Farmers, Health Professions, Hospitality Sector Pilot Project, Long Haul Truck Drivers, Students and Entrepreneurs.

Let’s explore those categories in detail –

Skilled Workers

This category is designed for skilled workers, professionals or managers who have a full-time, permanent job offer from a Saskatchewan employer. It is divided into three sub-categories:

  • Skilled Workers/Professionals
  • Critical Occupations
  • Existing Work Permit

You may qualify to apply under the SINP Skilled Workers Category if

You live outside of Canada or you have proof of legal status in Canada, you are not a refugee claimant and you have one of the following:

  • The applicant must at least score 60 points out of 100 on the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)
  • Along with the score, the individual need to have minimum one-year experience in the intended occupation.
  • The language score of Canadian Language Benchmark should be at least 4.
  • An offer of permanent, full-time employment in Saskatchewan either in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) Matrix level “A” or “B”, or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan (Skilled Workers/Professionals Sub-Category);
  • An offer of permanent, full-time employment in Saskatchewan in a management position in the NOC Matrix level “0” (Critical Occupations Sub-Category); or
  • Show the proof of eligibility for Saskatchewan licensure in case the occupation you join for is a regulated profession or compulsory apprenticeship trade. You can include this in SINP application.
  • If you are under food and beverage servers you need to apply under the Hospitality Sector Project sub-category. Health Professionals should apply under the Health Professionals subcategory.
  • List of documents you would require for Saskatchewan Express Entry.

Family Members

This category is for immigrant families living in Saskatchewan who want to help their skilled and educated family members come to work and live in the province.
Applicants must have a relative who has been living in Saskatchewan for at least one year. They must be willing to provide applicants with assistance during the immigration process and after they arrive in Saskatchewan.  These relatives are called supporting family members.


To be considered for the SINP Family Members Category, you must:

  • Be between 18 – 49 years old.
  • Have a signed affidavit of support from one or more family members living in Saskatchewan (SINP-500-22).
  • Have completed post-secondary education, training, or apprenticeship of at least one year in length and have a diploma, a certificate, or a degree.
  • Have at least one year of work experience in your field of education or training
  • Have a full-time, permanent job offer from a Saskatchewan employer or intend to find full-time, permanent work in Saskatchewan and have enough money to live in the province for a short time without work after arrival ($10,000 for you and $2,000 for each accompanying family member).
  • The applicant needs to have sufficient language proficiency in one or both of the official languages in Canada.
  • Only their parents, daughters/sons, sisters/brothers, aunts/uncles, nieces/nephews, first cousins, grandchildren, grandparents, step-family members / in- laws of the same relationship can qualify as supporting households.

Health Professions Category

Applicants to the SINP Health Professions Category must already be working full-time in Saskatchewan as a physician, nurse or other health professionals on a temporary work permit for at least six months in order to apply.

The Health Professions Category is split into three sub-categories: Physicians, Nurses, and Other Health Professionals

Basic Eligibility for Health Professions are:

  • Provide proof of a temporary work permit confirming that you have been working as a health professional in Saskatchewan for a minimum of six months.
  • The applicant needs to have a valid work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Have a permanent, full-time job offer from:
  • Have an offer of permanent employment that is issued by a provincial health authority or the health education institution where you are currently employed and/or verified with documents that describe your permanent arrangement to work in the healthcare industry in Saskatchewan
  • The language score of Canadian Language Benchmark should be at least 4.
  • Have a valid SINP Job Approval Letter.

Moreover, the SINP may also obtain:

  • A letter of support from the appropriate licensing body; and
  • A letter of support from your employer that states your position was posted as per the relevant collective agreement and remains vacant.

Hospitality Sector Pilot Project

Under the Hospitality Sector Pilot Project the SINP can nominate foreign workers that are currently working in Saskatchewan for a minimum of six months on a temporary work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), supported by Service Canada’s (SC), Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Temporary Foreign Worker labour market confirmation, and in one of the following categories:

  • Food/Beverage Server (NOC 6453)
  • Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Helper (NOC 6641)
  • Housekeeping/Cleaning Staff (NOC 6661)
  • The individual must have completed at least 12th graduation.
  • Acquire job from an employer who has been approved by the SINP to take part in the Hospitality Sector Project. Take a note that the SINP won’t accept applications from employees who start working for employers before the employer receives SINP approval.
  • Have an offer of permanent, full-time employment from an approved Saskatchewan Hospitality employer
  • The language score of Canadian Language Benchmark should be at least 4.

Workers in these categories must first begin working in Saskatchewan on a temporary foreign work permit for a company that has been approved by the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP). If an approved business offers the worker permanent employment, after a minimum of 6 months employment the worker may apply to the SINP for permanent resident status

Long Haul Truck Drivers

The SINP Long Haul Truck Driver Project allows Saskatchewan trucking firms to bring truckers to the province under Service Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker policy for occupations requiring a high school diploma or on-the-job training. Long haul truck drivers must first begin working in Saskatchewan for an approved trucking firm on a temporary foreign work permit. If an approved trucking firm offers them permanent employment, after a minimum of 6 months employment they may apply to the SINP for permanent resident status

To apply for SINP nomination through this sub-category, you must:

  • 6 month work permit should be issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and based on a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada
  • Have a current Saskatchewan Class 1A driver’s licence
  • A full time, permanent employment letter which is approved by trucking firm in Saskatchewan
  • The language score of Canadian Language Benchmark should be at least 4.
  • Have a valid SINP Job Approval Letter.
  • List of documents you would require for Saskatchewan Express Entry.


Education in Saskatchewan

The Student Category allows eligible post-secondary graduates to apply for landed immigrant status under the SINP. There are two streams of the Student Category: the Post-Graduation Work Permit Stream and the Master’s and PhD Graduate Stream. In order to qualify, you must:

  • Have graduated with a certificate, diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary educational institution in Canada
  • The work experience of minimum 6 months (or 960 hours) of paid employment in Saskatchewan
  • Different type of eligible work experience in Saskatchewan include:
    • On- campus
    • Off-campus
    • Co-op terms
    • Graduate fellowships that can be verified by your institution
  • Want to apply for nomination by the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP).
  • Have worked for a Saskatchewan employer for a minimum of six months under a CIC post-graduation work permit
  • Have a current, permanent, full-time job offer from your employer
  • You’ve applied for and received a valid post-graduation work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

You have a current, permanent, full-time job offer in your field of study from a Saskatchewan employer. The job should be:

Food and Beverage Servers/Persons must apply under the Hospitality Sector Project sub-category.

  • You need to carry a valid SINP Job Approval Letter.
  • The minimum language score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 if your job offer is in a NOC “C” occupation.

Farm Owners / Operators

The Farm Owner/Operator category is for individuals with proven experience in farming and substantial capital available to invest in a farming operation and who intend to purchase and operate a farming operation in Saskatchewan.

The Young Farmer stream of the Farm Owner/Operator Category is designed to allow young farm families to establish their lives and farming operations in our province’s rural areas.

To be eligible to apply under this category, you must meet all of the following five criteria:

  • Available Equity – you must provide financial documents showing a net worth of $500,000 Canadian Dollars (CAD).
  • Refundable Cash Deposit – you must sign a Performance Agreement committing to purchase a farm operation in Saskatchewan and make a “good faith” deposit of $75,000 CAD in trust. The cash deposit will be returned to you when the terms of the Performance Agreement are met
  • Mandatory visit to Saskatchewan – You need to conduct a comprehensive exploratory visit to Saskatchewan of no less than five working days and must meet with an SINP representative
  • Farm operation knowledge and experience – you must provide documentation (e.g. education and training, work experience, financial documents of their previous operations) that demonstrates that you are a knowledgeable farm operator. If necessary, we may further verify this information through an interview when you are in Saskatchewan
  • Practical Proposal For Commercial Saskatchewan Farming – (See Important Terms: Farm Proposal Viability).

SINP applicants will be assessed against Provincial program criteria and eligibility requirements in place when their application was submitted.  Please refer to IRCC’s website for up-to-date information regarding criteria and requirements in place for Permanent Residence applications.


The SINP Entrepreneur Program offers you and your family the opportunity to establish, acquire or partner in a business in Saskatchewan and be actively involved in its management.

The two required steps to follow in Nomination Criteria are –

  1. Expression of Interest (EOI) submission to the SINP
  2. EOI Selection and Invitation to Submit an Application
  3. Nomination.

There are four criteria in the SINP Entrepreneur Category that you must meet to be approved for nomination:

  • To submit an EOI to the SINP, you must:
    • Meet the minimum entry criteria; and
    • Complete the Points Assessment Grid in order to be scored once your EOI is in the pool of candidates.
  • A minimum net worth of $500,000 Canadian Dollars (CAD) that can be verified
  • Experience of minimum of three years of relevant business management or entrepreneurial experience
  • Intend to invest a minimum of $300,000 (CAD) in Regina and Saskatoon or a minimum of $200,000 (CAD) in all other Saskatchewan communities.
  • The information you provide in EOI is compared against the points grid to rank your EOI in the pool of candidates. Obviously the best scores are prioritized for selection.
  • The applicants who are invited to apply must submit a Business Establishment Plan (BEP) which relates to the information in the EOI.
  • Your BEP must include:
    • Specific to the point plan which are given according to the points given in the Entrepreneur Category Points Grid.
    • Your ownership of at least one third (33 1/3 per cent) of the equity of a business in Saskatchewan, unless your total investment is $1 million CAD or higher;
    • The creation of two employment opportunities in Saskatchewan for Canadians or permanent residents who are not related to you.
  • Accumulation of net worth through legal means, which can be verified. Selected candidates are invited to apply to the SINP
  • Minimum three years entrepreneurial or relevant business management experience.
  • Intent to reside and actively invest in Saskatchewan.


Once you are approved for nomination, you will be required to:

  • Have a minimum active investment of $200,000 CAD in the Province of Saskatchewan.  If you own less than 1/3 of the business, then your total investment must be worth at least $1 million CAD.
  • Be involved in the day-to-day management of your business.
  • Make a $75,000 good faith deposit. If you meet certain conditions, you may apply for your good faith deposit to be returned

Contact us to see how we can help you obtain a student visa and work permit

Ask An Expert