Evaluation of Engineers’ credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada

You will often hear language regarding “permission to practice engineering” in Canada. Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada. This means that by law, no one can practice or legally call yourself an Engineer without the Professional Engineer (P.Eng) license. However, 80% of engineering jobs in Canada do not require you to hold a license.Licensing is carried out by 12 provincial and territorial associations or regulatory bodies who set standards and regulate the profession. An engineering license is valid only within that jurisdiction, however, there is a mobility agreement among some provinces and territories regarding transfer of licenses. These associations serve and protect the public on behalf of their provincial or territorial government

Working in Canada before being licensed

Applicants can work as engineers in Canada only if a licensed professional engineer takes responsibility for the work. It is illegal for non-licensed engineers to approve engineering drawings or reports, use the title “professional engineer” or any variation of it, or in any way offer engineering services to the public. . Most other technical work (i.e. work not considered professional engineering) may be performed by non-licensed engineers without restriction.

While you require an engineering license to become a “professional engineer” or “engineer” you do not need a license to work in the many different professions within the field of engineering/applied science technology.

How to get a professional engineering license?


After being granted a permanent residence visa, you should contact the association of professional engineers in the province or territory where you plan to settle.

You will be asked to submit at least the following documentation:
  • Original diploma(s), degree(s), and full transcripts recording course completion and marks.
  • Full address of educational and professional institutions related to engineering qualifications.
  • Employment and character references.

All documents must have certified English translations (French in Québec; a choice of English or French in New Brunswick).

STEP 2The association reviews your university background and may assign an exam program to ensure that academic requirements are met.The association assesses your academic qualifications, primarily the Bachelor level or first degree. Qualifications other than the Bachelor level may or may not be taken into account.Usually, associations will assign an exam program if you do not have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering from a recognized Canadian university. Examinations are assigned based on your claimed discipline or specialty of intended work. The maximum number of examinations is 20. You will also be required to take an examination on non-technical subjects (engineering economics or management).Examination sittings are held once or twice per year, depending on the jurisdiction.

STEP 3The association evaluates your previous engineering experience.The evaluation is based on application of engineering theory, exposure to project management and communications skills.Three or four years of acceptable engineering experience is required, depending on the association. Experience obtained outside Canada, may be acceptable if sufficient documentation is provided. A minimum of 12 months of acceptable experience must be in a Canadian environment to ensure that you are familiar with Canadian codes and standards.If assigned an examination program, you are normally required to complete all examinations before the association will begin crediting engineering experience.

STEP 4Write and pass the professional practice exam.You must write and pass the professional practice examination on professional practice, ethics, engineering law and liability. Normally, you can write it any time after you have completed the assigned examination program.Once all the requirements for licensure are successfully met, the association will issue you a license to practice engineering in that jurisdiction. Please be advised that it may take several years to obtain licensure in a province or territory of Canada.Each provincial/territorial engineering licensing body has its own provisions for steps in their licensing process that you can take prior to immigrating to Canada.

Begin your Canadian Visa Application Process Today

As Canadian immigration specialists, ICS is committed to ensuring that you obtain the best Canadian visa or immigration service for your requirements. You can set your application in motion today by submitting our Initial Consultation Form  to schedule your consultation with one of our immigration attorneys.

After we assess your qualifications, you will be informed if you qualify. If you would qualify to apply for Canada Immigration as an Engineer, we open your file and proceed with the processing of your application for the permanent resident visa and/or work permit.

Please note that ICS will not share your personal information with any other third party, any information submitted to us will only be used to assess your visa eligibility.

Contact Us